Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Results from the tests.

On my last post I explained that my blood counts were low and I was retaining fluid.  Dr. T ordered an echo-cardiogram which showed better than normal cardiac function:)  He also ordered a manogram for the lump in my chest, benign :)  The endoscope of the esophagus and stomach showed enlarged veins which is believed to be caused by hypertension in the liver (portal hypertension), so at another appointment I had bands placed and was put on propanol to lower the pressure in those veins.  I have some discomfort in my throat from that procedure and the medication makes me even more sleepy.  I had a follow up ultrasound of my abdomen which showed a slightly enlarged spleen which may have to come out if it gets worse, also my gallbladder is enlarged and the same for that.   My liver is irritated, and that is what is causing the pressure and the water retention I noticed in my lower legs.  The blood test to see if the cancer has returned showed negative:)

The plan.  I will be getting another banding procedure in two weeks.  Two weeks after that I will start on exjade to get rid of the iron.  Dr. T believes that once the iron is lowered my liver will show improvement and the hope is the portal pressure will clear up.  All in all not bad news, no return of the cancer, no cirrhosis of the liver,  no cancer in the chest, and good cardiac numbers:) 
God Bless,
Scott

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your results were essentially positive. Keep up the good fight. I am one of many who care very much, and who believe you can hang there and beat the bad stuff. Hope you are enjoying the warmer weather this weekend. Love to you both. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted, Scott. I'm so happy for your Cancer Free news! Sounds like milkshakes for a while now until your throat feels better. That poor liver. It has been through so much. Hope you can still cart that liver down to the fox river and get some fishing in! Luv, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. All in all great news!!! Keep on improving!!! You are an inspiration and example to so many of us. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete